For the first time, we will also be teaching a series of "Fresh from the Garden" cooking/gardening classes! And to top it off, we have begun a new FREE "Family Nature Explorers" program, with fun classes and walks for parents and children to attend together!
Registration has begun and it's easy to do- camps are starting to fill up so check the list below for the camps that best fit your schedule and your child's age! Here's how to register:
- Visiting www.seattle.gov/parks/centers/magnuson.htm
- Contacting Magnuson Community Center at 206-684-7026
- Visiting Magnuson Community Center at 7110 62nd Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98115.
Summer Camp Schedule: (space available as of 6/9/10 listed in red)
- Jr. Nature Explorers Camps for Ages 4-5 Learn about the plants, animals, birds, worms, insects, and frogs that live in Magnuson Park, help grow and harvest organic vegetables, and hike to nearby natural areas in the park. Each day includes nature crafts, songs, games, and picnics. Camp fee includes an official Jr. Nature Explorer bandana, and each camp has a different theme and activities- sign up for one or several! Bring a sack lunch. All camps are from 9:30am-12:30pm. Fee: $90
Roots and Shoots July 5-7 Plenty of spots left
Winged Wonders July 12-14 A few spots left
Beetles on Parade July 19-21 A few spots left
Pollinator Power Aug 2-4 Plenty of spots left
The World of Water Aug 16-18 Plenty of spots left
Flower and Fruits Aug 30-Sept 1 FULL
- Nature Explorers Camps for Ages 6-7 Due to popular demand, we’ve expanded to 4 camps for the older nature explorer this year, each filled with fun. Help grow and harvest organic vegetables, build nature forts, and follow butterflies and grasshoppers to explore the places that plants, animals, birds, worms, and frogs call home. Each day includes nature crafts, songs, games, and picnics. Camp fee includes an official Nature Explorer bandana, and each camp has a different theme and activities- sign up for one or several! Bring a sack lunch. All camps are from 9:30am-12:30pm. Fee: $90
Beetles on Parade July 26-28 Plenty of spots left
World of Water Aug 9-11 A few spots left
Flowers, and Fruits Aug 23-25 Plenty of spots left
- Fresh-from-the-Garden Camp Fresh-picked vegetables, fruits, and herbs are a tasty treat, and lots of fun to grow in our organic p-patch garden at Magnuson Park! Have fun harvesting nature’s bounty, planting additional crops, and preparing a delicious lunch using seasonal ingredients. Each camper can invite a guest for the shared meal, and each camp will feature an entirely different menu, take-home recipes, and food-growing tips to try at home. Sign up for one or several! Fee: $30 each
Menu is filled with freshly harvested and tender spring vegetables and fruits from our garden:
- "Baby bib" lettuce salad with edible flowers and herbs.
- Fresh snap peas and carrots.
- Country-style "drop biscuits" with strawberry spread.
Menu to be announced
“Marvelous Harvest” Fri. Aug 27th 10:00am-1:00pm Plenty of spots left
Menu to be announced
For a detailed description of the activities in each individual summer camp, please visit the May 2009 postings. See you in the park!
Magnuson Community Center is a proud participant in the annual National Environmental Education Week, and hosted several events for school-age children and their families at the Magnuson Community Center Bird-Friendly Landscape and the Children's Garden during that week !
For more info on National Environmental Education Week, visit http://www.eeweek.org